Property:   Arrival:   Nights:   Adults:   Children:    
History of Huntingdon Manor
Pendray Family
The Pendray Family on the front steps of the Gatsby Mansion, circa early 1900's
In 1875 William J. Pendray came to Victoria, B.C., to invest the money he made from the gold rush. In 1877 William J. Pendray married Amelia Jane Carthew from England and they had four children: Ernest, Carl, Herbert and Roy.

In 1876 Alexander Blair Grey had been appointed a Justice of the Peace, an important position in the growing town of Victoria, B.C. He had purchased a piece of land at the corner of Belleville and Oswego Streets and decided to build a new home (today known as the Judges House). Mr. Grey’s home created a bit of a stir in colonial Victoria, being rather large and splendid for a city, which, despite being the capital of the new province, was still a small frontier town.

Around 1890, the Pendray’s bought a block of property on Belleville Street. It had a small cottage on it (today known as the Middle House) and the family lived in this home while their new Mansion (today known as the Gatsby Mansion) was being built beside it. The Middle House was originally built in 1872. Their neighbor’s were Mr. and Mrs. Grey.

The Pendray’s new home was a lovely structure, built in the Queen Anne style, with all the trappings of a grand Victorian home. Mr. Pendray commissioned two German painters, Herr Sterns and Herr Muller, to paint frescos on the ceilings of some of the rooms, including the parlour, the dining room and two of the bedrooms; you can still see them today. Panes of stained glass were shipped from Italy in barrels of molasses so that they would not break.

Always up-to-date, Mr. Pendray had the first telephone in a private residence in BC installed in his Mansion. It was a direct line to his soap factory on Laurel Point.

Unlike his neighbor Mr. Pendray, Mr. Grey lost his fortune in a crash in 1893 and his fine home had to be sold. George R Jackson was a young and very successful tailor in Victoria and bought the house soon after it was for sale. Mr. Jackson soon decided to try his hand at something new and moved to the USA, sold the house and graduated as a medical doctor. However, he did not go into practice, but turned back to business, producing a breakfast food called Roman Meal, and became a millionaire.

Back in Victoria, a young lawyer named Gordon Hunter purchased the house from Mr. Jackson when he moved to the USA. Mr. Hunter soon became Chief Justice of British Columbia, and it is for him that the house know is known as “the Judges House.” Hon. Hunter served as Chief Justice for 25 years and in that time many titled persons and dignitaries were entertained in the house, including Prime Minister Mackenzie King.

In the meantime during 1913, Mr. Pendray died while inspecting his factory when a pipe fell 40 feet and struck him on the head, killing him instantly. Mrs. Pendray continued to live in the Mansion after her husband’s death.

Mrs. Pendray noticed that after Hon. Hunter’s Death in 1929, the Judges House was run by the Missionary Sisters of Notre Dame des Anges as a boarding house known as Belleville Lodge. In 1939 (after Mrs. Pendray’s death in 1937), the Pendray’s kids sold the Mansion to Mrs. M A Lewis for $4,500 (the Pendray Family was asking $5,000). Mrs. Lewis bequeathed it to the Missionary Sisters of Notre Dame des Anges (who was also operating the Judges House), who ran the Mansion as a boarding house for young women, it was known as Loretto Hall, until 1966.

In 1970 the Mansion changed hands again, and became known as the Captain’s Palace, a restaurant and (later) a small Bed and Breakfast. The Judges House became a tourist attraction – “the Haunted Mansion.”

In 1981 Ms. Rita Roy built the Huntingdon Hotel & Suites on the block of Oswego and Belleville Streets. This classical designed Victoria, BC hotel takes its exterior and service nuances from the first and finest Canadian Pacific Hotels.

In 1997, Ms. Roy bought the Mansion, the Middle House and the Judges House and renamed it (as it is known now) the Gatsby Mansion, after F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel, the Great Gatsby. The restaurant now offers memorable, classic fine dining with an innovative West Coast flair. The three houses each have their own unique character and have a selection of accommodation for guests who want to relive Victoria’s past.

Belleville Park Resort came about in 1997 after Ms. Roy bought the three houses (the Gatsby Mansion) and combined the property with the Huntingdon Hotel & Suites. Now Belleville Park is a full city block in the scenic Inner Harbour of Downtown Victoria, BC.